Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hobby, shmobby.

That's the culprit. RIGHT THERE. That movie is the reason for my husband's new hobby/obsession/life goal. But let me back up. It all started on a lazy Sunday of cooking and dogsitting and watching marathons of nature documentaries. What? You don't do that? Oh. Well we do. Thank you Netflix Instant Queue! Anyways, this movie was my pick. I think the Appalachians are fascinating because they're so gosh darn old. Not like the Sierras or the Rockies or anything- I mean they're REALLY old. So we learned about the wildlife and the formation and the trail that goes from Georgia to Maine. That's when my husband got the itch.

Him. "I'm gonna do that when I win the lottery. Just go hike for a year."
Me. "Ok that sounds cool. I'd go with you but we'd have to carry a swimming pool of water for me to drink along the way."
Him. "We'll helicopter you in at checkpoints so we can visit."
Me. "That works too."
Him. "I'm totally gonna do that. Actually, I'm gonna do that this weekend."
Me. "What?"
Him. "I'm gonna go on a backpacking trip through the mountains this weekend."
Me. "But you've never done that before."
Him. "No but I can rent equipment from the base, hike like ten miles a day. Just one day overnight. I'm gonna have to pack food and read my survival guide from front to back and...."
And so that's what's happening this weekend. He's going to do the Skyline to Big Basin trail route with two friends while I go to a bridal shower. This is the third major hobby he's had in the last year and a half. It started with shore fishing. We came out of that with 4 fishing poles, a homemade binder of local fish identification, and lots of fish tacos and cioppino. Then we went to beer brewing. We're on our 3rd or 4th keg of homemade beer. And now it's backpacking. And if you don't understand the consequentialness of these hobbies- let me explain something to you. When my husband does something, he does it to perfection. I love that about him. He doesn't half-ass anything he cares about.
I was supposed to do homework this weekend since I won't get a chance to do any next weekend. I didn't do as much as I should have but instead I...
-- went grocery shopping for two weeks (that was completely unintentional- it was supposed to be only for one week but I ripped my budget a new one) 
-- cooked dinners and lunches from scratch 
-- baked lemon cupcakes
-- took a trip to Border's 40 miles away to find the one perfect Backpacking in California book (I'll say it again... obsession)
-- deep cleaned my kitchen
-- watched a documentary on Yosemite, Appalachian Trial, American Serengheti, Denali, redwoods, and last but not least....beavers.
-- I also got to witness the birth of a new hobby. And that, my friends, is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment